President Muhammadu Buhari says he has not backed off his promise to secure the release of Leah Sharibu and the remaining Chibok girls.
The President renewed the pledge in a message by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Malam Garba Shehu, to mark the fifth anniversary of the abduction of the Chibok girls.
Buhari had promised the parents of the kidnapped girls when he met them at the beginning of his first term as president, that he would ensure their daughters returned home.
The President acknowledged that it was this promise that made the people of Chibok vote for him overwhelmingly in the February presidential election.
He said that though his government had so far succeeded in securing the release of 107 of the girls, “It will not rest until the remaining are reunited with their families”.
The President assured the parents of the girls that his administration is still on the matter.
“Diverse efforts are being intensified to secure the release of the Chibok Girls, along with all hostages in Boko Haram captivity, including Leah Sharibu, who was kidnapped from her school – Science Secondary School, Dapchi, Yobe State, on Feb. 19, 2018.